Report Launch - No Child Should be Stateless
16.00 -18.00 Monday 21 September - Room G1, Agora Building, 1 Quai Jacoutot, Strasbourg
The European Network on Statelessness and the UNHCR Representation to the European Institutions in Strasbourg invite you to a joint event to launch a new ENS report 'No Child Should be Stateless'.
This ENS reportis released as part of its #StatelessKids campaign, and follows the convening of a major regional conference in Budapest in June 2015. The report draws on comparative research conducted in eight countries, supplemented with analysis of how all 47 Council of Europe states are performing with regard to their international obligation to ensure every child's right to acquire a nationality. Protecting children and youth is similarly a priority theme under UNHCR's mandate and global #ibelong initiative which seeks to eradicate statelessness within a decade.
Speakers will include:
- Nils Muižnieks, Council of Europe Commissioner for Human Rights;
- Manlio di Stefano, Member of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe;
- Chris Nash, Director of the European Network on Statelessness;
- Gert Westerveen, UNHCR Representative to the European Institutions in Strasbourg: and,
- Dr Laura van Waas, Co-Director of the Institute on Statelessness and Inclusion.
Presentations will be followed by Q&A to discuss opportunities and strategies to address childhood statelessness in Europe. Wine and light refreshments will be provided.